Message from Dr. Simon Karuku
Welcome to the website of the Department of Education at the University of Embu. The Department was established in 2019 following the merger of the Department of Educational Communication, Administration and Planning, and the Department of Educational Foundations and Psychology, which in turn were formed in 2017 from their predecessor, the Department of Education and Social Sciences. The Department of Education holds the development and success of our students as the essential reason for the work we are called to do at the University of Embu. The Department is thus committed to providing students with diverse learning experiences and supporting their professional growth and well-being. The Department’s vision is a leader in the preparation of competent and reflective professionals for instructional and administrative leadership in schools and related contexts. The Department’s mission is to develop competent and reflective practitioners, leaders and scholars through rigorous teaching, innovative research, and responsive community service. To achieve this mission, the Department is committed to educational scholarship that emphasizes the integration of theory and practice, continual learning, competency development, innovation and collaboration.
The Department offers two Bachelor’s degree programmes in Education; namely, Bachelor of Education (Arts) and Bachelor of Education (Science). It also offers one Master’s degree program (Master of Education in Educational Administration and Planning) and one doctoral degree program (Doctor of Philosophy in Education).
The Master’s course is designed to develop leadership for the Kenyan school systems, and to provide students with an in-depth and theoretical understanding of educational administration and planning as both moral and technical undertakings. Graduates from the M.Ed. program can look forward to possible opportunities for employment as school administrators or as mid-level administrators within higher education (e.g., admissions, and student affairs). Graduates from the doctoral program may enter into higher education occupations such as lecturers or researchers.
The Department is also at an advanced stage of launching a post-graduate teacher preparation program leading to the award of the Post-Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE), as well as Master’s degree programmes in the areas of Educational Psychology, Child Studies, and Curriculum Studies.
Specific information about each of our programs is accessible on the University website at https://www.embuni.ac.ke/index.php/academic-brochure
Dr. Simon Karuku
Chair, Department of Education
Department of Education Staff Profiles
Latest Publications from the Department
- Bibiana, R., Madrine, K., Eric, W., & Simon, T. (2020). Policy strategies for effective implementation of inclusive education in Kenya. International Journal Of Educational Administration And Policy Studies, 12(1), 28-42. doi: 10.5897/ijeaps2019.0622
- Njiru, S. M., Nyaga, M. N. & Karuku, S. (2019). Effects of performance ranking in Mathematics on students’ and teachers’ identity development. International Journal of Secondary Education, 7(1), 17-28.
- Njiru, M.N., Nyaga, M. N., Karuku, S.M. (2019). Effects of Performance in Mathematics on Students’ and Teachers’ Identity Development. International Journal of Secondary Education. Vol. 7, No 1,2019, pp17-28. Doi.10.11648/j.ijsedu.20190701.14
- Nyaga, M. N. (2019). Teachers’ Selected Factors on Truancy among Adolescents in Secondary Schools in Kenya. American Journal of Educational Research. 2019; 7(4):328-333. doi: 10.12691/education-7-4-5
- Bibiana R., King’endo M., & Thuranira S., (2019). Practises of policy and Implementation of Inclusive Education: Effectiveness of guiding Principals in Schools in Kenya. International Journal of Education and Research, Contemporary Research Centre, Australia.